State Convention Candidate Statements
To â€“ all Cumberland County delegates to the state convention:
You now have access to your sample ballot. In the absence of an in-person convention, it is difficult for candidates for various offices to present their qualifications to the delegates of Cumberland County. We have offered candidates for the Democratic State Committee from Cumberland County and to the Democratic National Committee (statewide) the opportunity to develop a video (maximum duration, 3 minutes) that we would post on this website. For each office, we asked the candidates to respond to questions concerning their qualifications for the office.
Democratic State Committee (DSC). Cumberland County will elect 12 delegates and 1 alternate through the convention process. The DSC functions as the governing body of the Maine Democratic Party (MDP) between conventions. Essentially, it functions as the board of a corporation whose work is defined in the MDP Charter. https://www.mainedems.org/party/documents
- What do you see as the primary work of the MDP in non-general election years? In general election years?
- If elected to the DSC, what are three institutional priorities you believe the DSC should address and how has your past experience prepared you to contribute to addressing the three priorities?
- How has your political, volunteer, or organization work in Cumberland County prepared to you represent the county on the DSC?
Democratic National Committee (DNC). In addition to the Chair and Vice-Chair of the MDP, the state convention elects a committeeman and committeewoman to represent Maine at the DNC. The DNC, in addition to being the governing body of the Democratic Party between conventions, provides resources to state parties to enable them to maintain a party structure in each state and to build capacity.
- What in your experience or training uniquely qualifies you to serve as Maineâ€™s delegate to the DNC?
- What are three priorities you intend to work on in your role should you be elected to the DNC and how has your past experience prepared you for that work?
- You will be only one of over 400 delegates to the DNC. How do you propose to advance the interests of the MDP in you role?